Online ordering and overnight shipping has put bakers in New Jersey in competition with bakers as far away as California, while local corner stores must compete with foreign candy distributors. In order to stand out and stay ahead, business owners in every industry have to monitor the newest trends in consumer purchasing and adjust their business practices accordingly. Currently, the trend in consumer purchasing revolves around “going green.”
Joining The Green Movement
Making the switch to recycled and/or biodegradable packaging materials can make a big impression on end customers. After all, your packaging is the face of your company inside your customer’s home.
Green Packaging Products
- Recycled cardboard boxes and cartons. Use boxes and cartons that are already recycled and include a small note to your customers to encourage them to reuse or recycle the box or carton again.
- Cornstarch packing peanuts. These packing peanuts dissolve in water, are chemical free and naturally anti-static. Cornstarch peanuts are completely biodegradable and can be easily mixed in to a customer’s yard or garden.
|Ranpak kraft paper packaging.|
- Recycled polystyrene packing peanuts.These peanuts are made from recycled polystyrene plastic and can be recycled again. Be sure to include a note to your customer letting them know to recycle the peanuts.
- Cellulose wadding. Instead of using packing peanuts, why not switch to wadding. Cellulose wadding is made from recycled cellulose fiber and is completely biodegradable.
- Kraft paper. Like the cellulose wadding, kraft paper is made from recycled materials and is completely biodegradable.
- Pallets. If you have larger shipping needs, why not switch to pallets made from recycled plastic. As an added bonus, the pallets are resistant to water and insect damage.